Introduction to Karakoram Express Train
The Karakoram Express is a train service in Pakistan that runs between Karachi, capital of Sindh, the southern province of Pakistan, and Lahore, the capital of Punjab ,the eastern province of Pakistan. The train is named after the Karakoram mountain range, which spans across Pakistan, China, and India.
The Karakoram Express is one of the oldest and most popular train services in Pakistan. It covers a distance of approximately 1,230 kilometers and takes about 19 hours to complete the journey from Karachi to Lahore. The train stops at several major cities and towns along the way, including Hyderabad, Rohri, Multan, and Faisalabad.
The Karakoram Express is known for its comfortable and air-conditioned coaches. The train is equipped with a dining car, refreshment sellers, and power sockets in each coach. The Karakoram Express is considered one of the best modes to travel between Karachi and Lahore, as it offers shortest time with just a few stopovers.
History of the Karakoram Express
The Karakoram Express was established in the year 2000, by Pakistan Railways as part of an effort to improve the country’s transportation infrastructure and provide a reliable and affordable option for long-distance travel.
Before the establishment of the Karakoram Express, the only available train service between Karachi and Lahore was the Awam Express, which had a limited schedule and was often overcrowded. The Karakoram Express was designed to be faster, more comfortable, and more efficient than the existing train service.
The first Karakoram Express train departed from Karachi on June 21, 2000, and arrived in Lahore after a journey of approximately 22 hours. Since then, the train has become a popular choice for travelers looking for a comfortable and affordable way to travel between the two big cities of Pakistan.
Over the years, the route and schedule of the Karakoram Express have undergone some changes to accommodate the needs of passengers and to improve the train service. Today, the train departs from Karachi Cantt station and makes stops in Hyderabad, Rohri, Multan, Khanewal, and, Faisalabad before arriving at its final destination i.e Lahore Junction.
Overall, the Karakoram Express has played a significant role in improving transportation infrastructure in Pakistan and has become an important mode of travel for thousands of passengers every year.
Tips for travelling on the Karakoram Express
Travelling on the Karakoram Express can be an overwhelming experience, but it’s important to keep few tips in mind to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey. Here are some tips for travelling on the Karakoram Express:
- Book your tickets in advance: The Karakoram Express is a popular train and tickets can sell out quickly. It is recommended to book your tickets well before time.
- Pack appropriately: Make sure, you carry blankets for the overnight journey as it gets cold at night.
- Bring your own food and water: While the train has a dining car and pantry services, it’s always a good idea to bring your own snacks and drinks. This is particularly important if you have dietary restrictions or preferences.
- Be respectful of local customs: Pakistan is a Muslim country, so it’s important to dress modestly and be respectful of local customs and traditions. Avoid wearing revealing clothing or showing public displays of affection.
- Stay vigilant: It’s always a good idea to stay vigilant and keep an eye on your belongings. Keep your valuables close and be aware of your surroundings especially at the time of stopovers.