Wafaqi Mohtasib, also known as the Federal Ombudsman, is an institution established to address public grievances and complaints against federal government departments and agencies. Federal Ombudsman is Headquartered at Sector G-5, Constitution Avenue, Islamabad.
Given under roles and functions of Wafaqi Mohtasib:
- Redressal of Grievances: They is responsible for receiving and investigating complaints lodged by individuals against federal government bodies, including ministries, departments, public corporations, and autonomous bodies.
- Administrative Malpractice: Investigates cases of maladministration, abuse of power, negligence, and violation of rules and regulations by federal government entities. The aim is to ensure fair, accountable, and transparet public administration.
- Mediation and Resolution: facilitation regarding resolution of complaints through mediation, conciliation, or negotiation between the complainant and the concerned government department. They strive to provide a fair and impartial platform for resolving disputes.
- Recommendations and Reports: After conducting an inquiry, issuance of recommendations to the relevant government authorities for corrective action. These recommendations are non-binding but carry significant weight and are expected to be implemented by the concerned departments.
- Systemic Reforms: They also identify systemic issues and suggests reforms to prevent recurrence of maladministration and improve the functioning of government departments. They may propose changes in laws, policies, and procedures to address systemic deficiencies.
- Awareness and Outreach: The Wafaqi Mohtasib promotes awareness about citizens’ rights and the role of the office through outreach programs, seminars, and publications. They aim to educate the public about their entitlements and encourage people to seek redress for grievances.
It’s important to note that the Wafaqi Mohtasib primarily deals with complaints related to federal government entities. Each province in Pakistan also has its own Provincial Ombudsman, known as the “Mohtasib” or “Ombudsman”.